REQUIREMENTS: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.0 or later
DianHua Dictionary Audio Module
DianHua Audio Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary for the iPhone and iPod touch including audio pronunciation of all words and phrases. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Audio Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of the DianHua Audio Dictionary include:
- Audio: Hear clear pronunciations of all entries in the dictionary.
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhone's Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Audio, Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- History and Bookmark Synchronization: Using the Sync button under either the Search History or Bookmarks tabs allows you to upload your data to DianHuaDictionary.com. This can be useful merely for backup purposes, or you can use the Export functions of DianHuaDictionary.com to move your data into Spreadsheets or other Flashcard applications.
- Preferences: In the iPhone's Settings, you will find an entry for DianHua that will allow you adjust font sizes and turn Traditional and Simplified characters on or off.
Samples of the audio included in the DianHua Audio Dictionary may be found
on the JSQ, LLC web site.
The DianHua Dictionary Audio Module v2.0 is now a fully integrated version of DianHua Dictionary
with audio. Features of this release include:
- Backward compatibility...it will still work as a plug-in for the free version of DianHua Dictionary.
- Over 17,000 audio recordings.
- Syllable-by-syllable pronunciation of dictionary entries where audio was not previously available. The system honors tone change rules.
- Flashcards now include audio capability on both the front and the back of the cards.
- Corrected a bug in the dictionary engine where study tools do not work the first time the application is used.
Bringing your existing Bookmarks into the Audio Module is as simple as syncing from DianHua Dictionary and then syncing in the Audio Module.