LANGUAGES: English, Chinese, German, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
REQUIREMENTS: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.0 or later
Gaia GPS - Offline Topo Maps, Compass, and GPS Tracking for Trails – Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Camping, Running
Gaia GPS is the ultimate app for backcountry, off-grid, and off-trail adventures.
Painstakingly crafted over the last two years by a pair of backpackers, Gaia offers the full functionality of a handheld, backcountry GPS unit. Once you use Gaia, your other hardware will collect dust.
"Gaia GPS can get you where you want to go, no matter where you are."
FOXNews, TappedIn - http://bit.ly/iCqKVp
"Gaia GPS proved the best app for both platforms…"
Wired UK - http://bit.ly/juwjw4
"I tried several and Gaia is the most user-friendly."
BackPackingLight.com - http://bit.ly/jt7lBQ
"… it clearly beats out other apps which only have a small set of the functionality ..."
TouchMyApps - http://bit.ly/XxICt
"You can save your tracks, save your maps, save your gpx's, etc. It's pretty freaking cool."
BackPackingLight.com - http://bit.ly/mebcqn
• Download maps for times when you don't have an internet connection.
• No extra charges - download as many maps as you want, and use Gaia on all of your iPhones/iPads/iPods.
• View topographic and road maps. Use MyTopo maps in the US/Canada, and CloudMade topo and road maps all over the world.
• Display NEXRAD radar and TrailBehind waypoints on the map.
• Record tracks, waypoints, and take photos.
• Search for nearby waypoints and reports about places.
• Import and export GPX files, by email or to EveryTrail.com.
• Customize all aspects of Gaia, including units, coordinates types, color and sound, and more.
• Browse the Map Store, and subscribe to cool map sources like Snowmobile Trails from US Trailmaps, NOAA Charts, and more.
►► IMPORTANT - IPOD TOUCH AND NON-GPS IPHONES - This application will not be fully functional on these devices. The GPS Recorder and compass will be inactive. You will be able to view maps and waypoints, but you cannot record tracks.
►► GPS WARNING - Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Gaia GPS is a full-featured outdoor GPS app, developed by Anna and Andrew. We wander around with our dogs and like to pitch our tent wherever Gaia leads us. Please email us with questions, bug reports, feature ideas, and other feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This release increases the download limit by 10X (probably the top requested feature), makes the maps much more responsive to touch, and has many other improvements and bug fixes as listed below.
* increased tile download limit to 100,000
* downloads are now much faster (like, many times faster!)
* other cached areas are now outlined when showing the download screen
* map scale will now display the proper measures, regardless of latitude
* fixed bug where the display track (Show On Map) would disappear on rotate or background of the app
* app will now show tracks while displaying the map download screen
* map caches the last 10,000 tiles you view, instead of 800
* installed new OpenCycleMap source as the default
* made the map faster when you have a big track, and also fixed some related display strangeness we observed on our own hike this weekend
* removed "null" in table for imported waypoint without dates
* fixed display of Map Layers on iPad, when you have an extra map source added from the Map Store
* fixed display of Map Layers screen in landscape on iPhone
* fixed a bug that could shut off the iPod while recording in the background
* removed battery leak when you have the app backgrounded via the top hardware button
* fixed bug where, on an iPhone, if you were showing the details for a pin on the map, and then deleted that pin on the Saved Screen, and then went back to the map screen, the app would crash
* Gaia will now properly refresh when you import waypoints, whether you have been to the Saved screen or not
* made the server fast and reliable for POIs and www.trailbehind.com
* deleting a large number of waypoints will no longer crash, but it is slow (takes minutes on a fast iPad2) for thousands of waypoints
* fix status bar when going to Details or Map Layers from Landscape mode