REQUIREMENTS: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Messenger for Google Voice
Google Voice allows you to use one phone number for all your phones and access your voicemail and text messages from the web.
No longer do you have to settle for a sub-standard SMS experience in order to use Google Voice and the iPhone together. Send and receive text messages just like the built-in SMS app using your Google account. Switch back and forth between your phone and your computer and keep everything in sync.
- Push Notification support so you can receive messages even when the app is closed. For instructions on how set up push notifications see http://davidbeckblog.com/google-voice-messenger/#push-instructions
- Now supports setting different ringtones.
- Uses the internet only, so you don't have to worry about running up your cell phone bill with hundreds text messages.
- Support for marking conversations as archived, spam and starred.
- Uses the iPhone's built in address book and photos.
About Push Notification
Several people have expressed concerns about the way push notification works with this app. Basically, in order to use push notification you have to forward email notifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. While this is secure, it requires a level of trust that your text messages will not be abused.
First of all, you should know that you do not have to enable text messages. If you choose not to use push notifications, nothing is stored on the gvmessenger server, and the app will continue to function just as you would expect.
Text messages are only stored on the server long enough for them to be sent to your phone. Once they are converted into push notifications they are deleted from the server permanently.
I assure you that if I was to abuse your information, the legal storm that would ensue, would certainly not be worth any reason to do so.
For instructions on how to setup push notification, go to http://gvmessenger.com/push.
Added text tone setting
Added message preview setting
Improved dialing for international numbers
Moved the settings into the app
Fixed several crashes
Fixed a bug that caused the app to continually ask for login info
Fixed a bug that caused the inbox to be empty