REQUIREMENTS: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
OpenMaps is an amazing map app to find out what's around you. It's based on Twitter and OpenStreetMap.org, the free wiki world map. It let's you check in to and share OpenStreetMap places with your Twitter friends and has some great & useful map tools like download maps for offline use, route directions and others.
"OpenMaps for the iPhone is gonna do a bang-up job with this task. [...] Download OpenMaps!"
- AppJudgement, Revision3
- Pinpoint your location on the map with a tap of a button.
- Use the digital compass to rotate the onscreen map to match the direction you're facing*.
- Turn off location services to reserve battery if you don't need them.
- Find out more info about places by simply tapping on their icons on the map.
- Search online for a location.
- Advanced users can add custom map types that they can browse.
- Download maps for offline use.
- Find out what people tweet around you or anywhere in the world by scanning the map for geotweets.
- Log in to Twitter to read your timelines and view your friends' tweets and mentions of you on the map.
- Send out checkin or comment tweets about OSM places and follow the recent Twitter conversation about them within the app.
- Do some basic edits to the map like editing tags, or even adding new places.
- Calculate the car, bike or pedestrian route with directions between any two locations with the help of online route providers CloudMade and YOURS**.
- Set transit points for the routes and bookmark the routes.
- Send feature requests and bug reports right within the app.
- Vote on these ideas and talk about them with other users, letting us know what your favorite ones are.
Follow @OpenMapsApp on Twitter for updates.
* Your device must have a digital compass built in in order for this feature to be available.
** YOURS online route provider has some limitations, such as no turn-by-turn directions, no support for transit point routing and long (> 200 km) routes.
Note: If the app doesn't start after updating, for some reason, then delete it and reinstall it.
- Updated for iOS 4.3.
- Switched to a stable and reliable POI server. Tapping on POI icons on the map should work again.
- Changed behavior: to switch to the previous/next map type swipe up/down with 3 fingers on the map. Note: this only works if Accessibility Zoom in Settings app is turned off (by default it is).
- Added new feature: tap on your location (blue dot) to view more info: coordinates, location fix accuracy, elevation and elevation accuracy.
- UI improvements.
- Fixed some bugs.
- Added iPad support.
- Fixed minor issue when "All Star Dpnuts" is shown when a POI is selected on the map instead of the proper name.
This is a major release that brings a great amount of polish and a few features to the app. Under the hood a lot has changed, making OpenMaps prettier and more user friendly than ever before. Also we implemented a few of your feature requests that you submitted previously via the Feedback tool including: landscape mode support, Locate tool auto zoom, improved address search, always show route distance, prevent accidental dragging of pins, saved routes for offline use (look for them in the bookmarks). Thanks for the feedback and keep the ideas coming.
- Added landscape mode.
- Added a few cool animations that make your time using this app worthwhile.
- Fixed statusbar layout issues when using the app in-call and/or while Internet tethering is turned on.
- Added icons for the OSM presets.
- Much improved interaction.
- Fixed accidental dragging of pins while interacting (pinching, dragging, etc.) with the map. To drag a pin select it first.
- Increased the floating height of a pin while it is being dragged.
- Improved map annotation (pin, POI icon, tweet) selection. Touch, hold and drag your finger beginning from an unselected annotation to skim through the annotations and select one.
- Added setting to turn on/off the loading of the tappable OpenStreetMap POI icons.
- Added setting to set 2X digital zoom for the map types. This is useful for Retina Display users who use maps that aren't optimized for the high resolution display making the texts on the maps too tiny to read.
- Added an action shortcut button for a selected pin or POI icon.
- Added feature: auto zoom to your location when you tap on the locate button.
- Added smooth live location tracking with predicted location calculation while device is moving.
- Removed support for heading tracking for devices that don't have a magnetometer (e.g. iPhone 3G).
- Improved search results: For best results when searching for addresses search this way "housenumber street city". E.g. "1 infinite loop cupertino"; You can now search for POIs ("hotel", "restaurant", "pub", "bar", etc.) in your own language too.
- Added bookmark section from where you can access your bookmarked places, routes and downloads.
- Changed behavior: search results (orange pins) are displayed on the map only if a searchbar is visible.
- Changed the layout of the tools' buttons on the screen: only 3 can be placed in each corner of the screen.
- Redesigned the user interface (route instructions, route pin management).
- Added the ability to bookmark routes and access them offline too.
- Added route distance for YOURS routing service provider.
- Added an action shortcut button for a selected pin or POI icon to quickly calculate a route to there.
- Added an action shortcut button for a selected pin or POI icon to quickly compose a new tweet.
We hope you like this update. Expect more updates, soon.
Please leave a short review in the App Store. Thank you.